Friday, August 9, 2013

"Young Lash" Art

"Young Lash" Art by Gerald Lee
Copyright (c) 2013 Ken Naga
I am most excited that the artwork for the "young Lash" has arrived (or almost so). This is not the hi-res version of the art, but the excellent artist, Gerald Lee, whom I contacted has sent me a "look-ahead" before I get the final version. He has even been kind enough to give me different options for the eyes. I must say, I cannot decide. What do you think?

I love having art to work from when I am writing a character. The small details that I find hidden within the artwork help me so much to flesh out the character and make him (or her) more real, more dynamic, and more alive. I have heard that some writers do this as well - I would love to hear from other writers if they use art in this way, or simply work from the images that appear in their mind's eye.

In fact, I have been considering a blog post about this very topic; breaking down my process for using art in this way. I wonder if this would be interesting to anyone out there reading this blog? Please feel free to leave a comment - it would honor me to begin to talk to you and to hear your thoughts and opinions.

This is Lash as a young man (~19 years old), before the action in Upstart begins. For me, in order to truly know a character, one has to know from whence they came. I need to know the character's past, his history and know what challenges he's already overcome in order to simply arrive at the point at which our story begins. Lash is relatively homeless at this point in his life, living on the streets barely surviving. If it were not for his wise friend Sen-Sen, he likely would be dead.

It is this friendship that later evolves into a crisis that turns Lash's entire world upside down.

I would be honored by your thoughts and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment